Saturday, January 28, 2012

Tracks and Trucks




Despite my attempt to get Cole to like art, he just isn't really into it. He will sit and draw for a minute or two but he won't sit and do art. Yes, I know he is only two and he is like a typical child whose attention span is short.

In order to engage him more in art, I decided to incorporate cars and trucks with paint.

As soon as I got the paint, paper and of course, the cars out, he immediately gravitated towards the paper taped to the floor.

He sat down and I showed him to drive his truck through the paint tray and roll it on the paper. No more explanation was needed after this as he immediately started painting with the cars. He made tracks around, forward and back.

I loved seeing him so focused and interested in the process of creating the tracks on the paper. I tried to point out the different tracks made by various cars.




Materials Needed:


  • Paint (washable kind, because you know your kids)

  • Roll of paper (I got it at Ikea for under $5.00)

  • Trucks and cars ( the ones that can be washed afterwards, so no battery operated toys)

  • Tray for the paint



This can naturally progress into water play if you want. Have a bucket of warm, soapy water ready and they can help wash the cars in the bucket.

No comments:

Post a Comment